All State, All Right!

All State, All Right!

The New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA) recently recognized six LHS seniors as 2020 All-State participants. The talented musicians include Camilla Bahri, Emily Bergin, Josh Christian, John Kelhetter, Alicia Villadiego, and Ricki Rizzo, who will represent Lynbrook in six of the eight All-State categories.

The conference is typically held in Rochester, a three-night sleepover where gifted students from across the state join to make music together. This year, however, the Coronavirus pandemic has halted the plans and shattered the hopes of hosting this event live; instead, it will be held virtually, and the concert will be a compilation of prerecorded individuals playing from the comfort of their homes. 

The highly competitive conference selected students based on their Spring 2019 NYSSMA scores, since the 2020 NYSSMA festival was cancelled. Performers selected to each of the eight ensembles — Symphony Orchestra, String Orchestra, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Mixed Chorus, Treble Chorus, Vocal or Instrumental Jazz Ensembles — will be sent their concert music electronically. Conductors will hold “master classes” via a streaming platform to teach the musical pieces, and students will work individually with their school music teacher as well. Musicians will then record their parts on a predetermined date and send their recordings to NYSMAA, where a professional recording company will edit, compile, and produce the finished product. 

Joseph Pallotta, Lynbrook School District’s director of fine and performing arts, said that he looks forward to the concert, a virtual event that has never before been accomplished on such a large scale.

“To be selected to All-State is truly an outstanding accomplishment,” said Pallotta. “Students work on their music for months in advance, and then these festivals are held across the state in the spring. Only the highest scores are selected, so the competition is certainly very strong. We are very proud of our six selections, but just as proud of all the LHS students who made this commitment and auditioned at the All-State level, many of whom received perfect scores as well.”

Bergin, chosen for both the Symphony Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble, has played the bass for 10 years and was selected for two All-State groups last year, as well. She said that while she is disappointed that it cannot take place in-person with musicians from all over the state, she looks forward to attending this year’s virtual conference.

“I’m very excited and honored to be chosen for All-State,” Bergin shared. “I practice a lot, so things like this mean a lot to me, and it makes me feel like my hard work pays off. Even though it’s not in person, I’m still excited to participate and see what they do with it.”

Villadiego, a Soprano Two alternate, has been a member of Lynbrook’s school choirs since the third grade, and she has participated in both NYSSMA and All-County in previous years. “I’m very excited to get to participate,” she said, “and I can’t wait to see how everything is put together. Musicians are very creative people, so I’m sure whatever we’re given will be great!”

Chorus Teacher Barry Wyner shared that he is very excited for his students, Rizzo, Villadiego, and Kelhetter to represent Lynbrook in the All-State Chorus, and he is extremely proud of all of their musical accomplishments. “It is an honor meant for only the finest young vocalists in the state, and these three students truly fit the bill. They each have demonstrated not only tremendous musical talents, but also hard work, dedication, and character.”

Wyner said that while he is disappointed that the students will not get to experience All-State’s typical grandeur — “three nights in Rochester being treated like royalty, singing with other talented teens from across the state, and performing in a majestic concert hall under the direction of a world-class conductor” — he thinks that NYSSMA has made the best of a difficult situation. 

“Participating in a virtual choir of this scope and prestige will be a fantastic experience for our students,” said Wyner. “I’ve seen some virtual choir performances that are quite moving in both their musical beauty and in the way you see technology connecting people across geographical distances. So, I am actually very excited to see how the virtual All-State concert turns out!”

Although it may not be what the musicians had originally envisioned, this year’s virtual All-State concert will surely be nothing short of amazing. Lynbrook’s wild talent will be on full display for the state to behold, not at all dulled by the screen of a computer. Pallotta laughed, “You have been able to turn a pandemic lemon into lemonade!”