Human Relation’s Day 2020

The Student Government Association (SGA) hosted its annual Human Relations Day on Feb. 13 with great success. Speakers from all walks of life presented to the students and staff, sharing their inspiring stories and educating on a wide variety of topics including sexual health, the opioid epidemic, and organ donation. 

The theme for the day was inspired by the popular sitcom Friends. Decked out in red, blue, and yellow, as well as Friends trivia and a Central Perk photo backdrop, the students enjoyed festive activities in the cafeteria between classes and presentations. 

The keynote presenter was Gian-Paul Gonzalez, motivational speaker and founder of the Hope + Future Foundation. Gonzalez imparted his motivational mantra, “all in,” and shared personal stories of his rise to fame through inspiring others. Following another theme of the day, “2020 vision,” Gonzalez urged the students to give each day their best, to work 100%, and to never settle for anything less than greatness. 

SGA Advisor Mary Kirby happily stated, “The SGA is extremely proud of the success of Human Relations Day. The message that Gian-Paul Gonzalez sent through his keynote presentation is one that the students of Lynbrook need to remember each and every day. If each of us can remember to be ‘all in,’ in all aspects of our lives, it will just make the world a little bit better.”

Girl Up, a United Nations campaign that empowers women, also presented at Human Relations Day to produce a broader spectrum of education surrounding consent, sexual health, and toxic relationships. Club President Djellza Pulatani explained, “We are seeing very high levels of toxic relationships prevalent in our generation and our community. When people are more educated about being safe and consensual, they tend to not be in these toxic relationships.”

Recovering drug addicts from the Rockville Centre Coalition discussed their journeys of recovery and educated students on the dangers of substance use, the legalization of marijuana, and the current spike in vaping. The Family and Children’s Association, a non-for-profit organization that provides help and hope to Long Islanders in need, also reinforced the dangers of risky behavior such as vaping and drug abuse.

Ruthanne McCormack, project coordinator for the Coalition, commented, “We teach the students to cope with issues using healthy means of stress release: exercise, meditation, spending time with family. Our message is to live drug free and not be ashamed to ask for help.”

Brian Donaldson, Lynbrook alumni and teacher, shared the emotional story of his younger brother, Thomas, who sadly passed away from glioblastoma brain cancer in 2017, two years following his graduation from LHS. Donaldson titled his presentation “Appreciating the Now,” which expressed the importance of taking each day at a time and being grateful for what you have.

“The biggest reason to share the story about my brother is because when kids are in high school, they just want to get things over with. They worry too much about the past or too much about the future, and they don’t appreciate what’s going on right now,” explained Donaldson.

The Long Island Trio started a dialogue with the students about the processes of organ donation and transplantation. The Trio has high hopes of persuading more youth to get involved, now that those as young as 16 can register to be an organ donor. “The more information that students have and the more understanding they have of the process, the more likely they are to register to be a donor,” shared Jeff Fenn, member of the foundation.

Other organizations such as the Viscardi School for students with disabilities, Soldier Stories, the Lynbrook Police Department, SCOPE, Camp Anchor, and the Feel Good Foundation also presented at Human Relations Day. The Viscardi School and Camp Anchor, a summer camp for children and adults with special needs, encouraged students to spread kindness and fight adversity. The other foundations continued the common theme of helping those in need, whether it regards firefighters who were injured in the line of duty or children who struggle to afford summer camp. 

In addition to the presentations and Friends-themed fun provided on Human Relations Day, the SGA continued its tradition of sharing “Random Acts of Friendship.” Local restaurants and businesses donated generous gift cards which were then gifted to students and staff selected by the SGA in order to give back to those whose daily kindness is palpable within the school.

The message of kindness and friendship was eminent on Human Relations Day, spread by those who organized and participated in the event. Student Body President Jake Belmont shared, “Human Relations Day was really a great day for everyone who was involved. The speakers were fantastic, and the students really enjoyed the opportunity to hear others’ stories. The SGA is so thankful for all of the support from the local businesses and organizations that helped make this day possible.”