Mary Kirby Named “Woman Trailblazer of the Year”

Kirby+poses+with+Legislator+William+Gaylor+and+her+family+as+she+accepts+her+award.+

-Photo courtesy of Mary Kirby

Kirby poses with Legislator William Gaylor and her family as she accepts her award.

“Passion and perseverance come easy when you work with the greatest kids on earth,” modestly shares English Teacher and Student Government Advisor Mary Kirby upon receiving the Nassau County Legislature Trailblazer Award for the 6th Legislative District. The award, in spirit of Women’s History Month, recognizes one woman from each legislative district for outstanding ability and exceptional drive to effect positive change in her community. To any LHS student, this quality is apparent in Kirby’s unyielding dedication to her roles as English teacher, SGA advisor, and advisor to the Class of 2019.

Legislator William C. Gaylor, who presented Kirby the award, attests, “She takes the job of educating today’s youth very seriously, with a kind heart and a positive attitude…Her creativity and diligent planning provides an environment in which all students not only thrive, but are enriched and motivated.” Junior Caroline Ridings adds, “She’s a great inspiration for those around her and a great role model. She goes the extra mile, staying in school all day for evening SGA meetings despite how overworked, tired, or sick she may be.”

As a classnight advisor, Kirby’s many close relationships with students in all circles helped the senior class, disgruntled from last year’s defeat, come together, learn to cooperate, and secure its first victory. “Her kind heart really helped us come together as a grade. We wouldn’t have won if it wasn’t for her,” says senior and Classnight chair Kierstin Aroksaar. Senior Ryan Denker adds, “I don’t know of many teachers who have the ability to command respect from so many different kinds of people and motivate them to put the work into a project that big, but she’s managed to keep doing it over and over again.”

However, Kirby’s influence goes above and beyond her responsibilities at LHS. She has served as the director of the Lynbrook Teacher Center, the director of the Lynbrook summer program, an internship coordinator, a coach, and a union representative. On her work with the Teacher Center, Gaylor explains, “Mary was instrumental in making the Lynbrook Teacher Center the heart and soul of professional development for Lynbrook and beyond. She has planned many conferences and initiated ‘collaboratorium’ Saturdays, inspiring teachers, retirees, and former students to come together in the spirit of listening, learning, and sharing topics relevant to every stakeholder.” Permanent Substitute Teacher Brian Donaldson shares his experience, saying, “The Teachers’ Center holds a mindfulness workshop that Mrs. Debetta runs, and it’s really helped me guide my teaching in a more mindful way. This wouldn’t have been possible without Kirby’s keen administrative direction and organizational skills.”

Principal Joseph Rainis says, “Our community continuously benefits from her desire to enrich the educational experiences of our students. Mary Kirby blazes trails so that others can have a chance to thrive. She is most deserving of the Nassau Country Senior Jimmy Murray sums it up best: “You can’t have Lynbrook without Mary Kirby, and there is no Kirby without Lynbrook. She supports the community in the best way.” Kirby’s passion for Lynbrook and all its inhabitants makes her a truly deserving recipient of the Trailblazer Award: LHS is lucky to have her. Congratulations!