Should Celebrities’ Lives Become Off Limits?

Every day, new stories, articles, rumors, and pictures are shared about celebrities and their lives. But, with over 13 major celebrity robberies in 2017, and millions of dollars stolen, should the private lives of celebrities become off limits? The incessant stream of pictures and articles update people on celebrities’ every move and location. In just this past year, major break ins involved celebrities like Kendall Jenner, A$AP Rocky, Scott Disick, Nicki Minaj, and Amber Rose. According to an article entitled “Cable and Network TV’s Worst Offender” by Pew Research Center, 40% of mainstream media is about celebrities. It is statistically proven that celebrity-related stories are the most covered news. An overwhelming 87% of people believe that celebrities’ lives are covered excessively, says the article. But does the number of robberies correspond to the amount of information posted? And, if celebrities’ private lives stopped being on display, will the incidents decrease in frequency?

Not only is it statistically proven that people believe media coverage of celebrities is excessive, some Lynbrook students and teachers also agree. Freshman Leo Finkelstein stated his opinion: “It is their own individual lives, and no one should know their business. People forget that they’re human too.” Sophomore Ethan Renz agreed, saying, “It’s their lives, and the public shouldn’t be involved. I feel bad that celebrities get stalked twenty-four-seven by paparazzi and people. It must be bad for their mental health and safety.”

Not only is it draining to celebrities mentally, but the constant stream of information regarding celebrities poses safety concerns. “Some things just don’t need to be known by the world. I also think it is a huge safety concern that people know their location and their every move,” shares Marianne Lombardo, a freshman. Freshman Marti Candel felt divided about this situation and said, “I like watching shows about celebrities like Keeping Up with the Kardashians. I find it interesting watching their daily lives. But I think it’s different when news outlets and media excessively post about celebrities.”

Junior Alyssa Burton said, “I think celebrities should have the right to privacy just like everyone else. I do not think that it is fair that just because someone pursues a field that brings fame and fortune, he or she must sacrifice the most basic rights of privacy.”Senior Zack Leder concurred, saying “It is fair. They are normal people who deserve privacy just like us. They just have fame, which is both a blessing and a curse.”