A Teacher Family

Kunz (bottom), Sena (left), and Turner (right) pose for their holiday-themed ugly sweater picture

Photo courtesy of Michael Kunz

Michael Kunz, Tom Sena, and Jennifer Turner are “family.” This year, Kunz teaches Studio in Art, Studio in Drawing and Painting, and Graphic Design. Turner teaches Photo Illustration and AP Studio in Art. Finally, Sena teaches Advanced Drawing and Painting, Printmaking/Sculpture, and Portfolio Prep/Art in Context. Together, these fun and unique teachers help students realize and develop their potential as both individuals and talented artists throughout their high school years.

Kunz, Sena, and Turner originally became acquainted in these very halls, planting the seed of a beautiful, blossoming friendship. Sena came to LHS in 1997 and has been teaching here for twenty-one years, the longest time of the three. For this reason, Turner refers to Sena as “the big daddy” of their family. Turner graduated from LHS in 1994, returned as a teacher in 2001, and has been teaching for fourteen years. Kunz arrived at LHS back in 2009 and has taught for the past eight years, making him “the little brother.” Regardless of how long each teacher has taught here, they all bring an undeniable personal expertise to the table and offer students an encouraging and safe haven to express themselves through their art.

When Kunz first came here to teach, Turner and Sena both served as his mentors. “Mrs. Turner was assigned to be my mentor when I started here, and then she was pregnant and had to leave. Then Mr. Sena picked up,” says Kunz.

“We consider ourselves a family, because we also know each other’s spouses and children very well,” Sena explains. Their families are very close indeed. Sena shared that Kunz’s kids refer to his kids as their cousins. Kunz elaborates, saying, “My oldest is six, so we would go over to Sena’s, and, when they were younger, they would associate everyone with cousins. But now, I always say, ‘Oh, we’re going to go stop by your cousins’ house.’” According to Turner, their children get along so well due to their close ages. “My twins are seven, Sena’s middle one is seven, and Mr. Kunz’s is six,” she explains. Additionally, they all live in Nassau County, making traveling to each other’s homes and seeing each other’s families quite convenient. After all, Turner and Sena both live in Merrick, and Kunz lives in Malvern, so they are only ten minutes away from one another.

These friends constantly spend time together both in and outside of school. Since their classrooms are all in the same hallway and next door to each other, spending time together is easy. “We’re always spending time in each other’s room, obviously. If anybody’s going to be out for any reason, we all look out for each other’s things,” Turner remarks. Outside of school, Sena shared that Kunz and he play softball together in the summer. “We’re on a team. He’s our pitcher, and I play outfield,” he adds.

While they have not ever worked on any art projects together, Kunz, Sena, and Turner have collaborated in other ways. Sena explains, “We’ve collaborated on lessons, yes, but not like our own personal stuff.” It is difficult to have their classes work together, too. “The thing is that we teach classes that are sequential, so students need to take one before the next. This makes it hard to collaborate because students need to know one skill before they can get to the next level,” Sena clarifies.

On the other hand, guest speakers and field trips are special occasions that allow students from all art classes the opportunity to participate in activities together in and out of the classroom. Last year, tattoo artist Luke Wessman came to LHS and spoke to students in Sena’s Portfolio Prep/Art in Context class and Turner’s Photo Illustration class. Luckily, both classes could partake in this event because they were during fourth period, demonstrating that the scheduling of classes is another obstacle that prevents their classes to effectively interact and work with one another. Turner explains, “We’re lucky enough to have class at the same time. It’s nice to be invited in for something like that.”

Despite their different teaching styles and classes they teach, Kunz, Sena, and Turner are each universally loved by students. “All three of the art teachers are amazing. Mrs. Turner, with her young spunk and crazy energy every morning, always motivates me to create the best digital pieces. Mr. Kunz, a teacher I’ve known since sophomore year, is a kind and quirky man who can always make anyone appreciate how dedicated he is to the arts, and he’ll always make anyone smile when he says ‘Ya killing me! Let’s work!’ And Mr. Sena always loves messing with his kids and having fun while also having the greatest compassion for his students,” comments senior Stephanie Syrota, who has been enrolled in Kunz’s Drawing and Painting class, Turner’s Photo Illustration class, and Sena’s Advanced Drawing and Painting class. Sophomore Madelyn Colonna revealed that she has a particular liking to Sena’s personality, teaching style, and class in general. She adds, “Whenever Mr. Sena says, ‘Did I ever tell you about the time that I [insert outlandish and borderline unbelievable event here]?’ I know it’s gonna be a good lesson.”

Students are particularly fond of Kunz, Sena, and Turner because they are not afraid to be themselves and actively promote this quality within their students. “Mr. Kunz and Mr. Sena are truly remarkable because they are unequivocally themselves and preach it every day. They make art personal and engage you in the process of making something privy and individual to you. They are also very real and funny, and they play great music!” explains sophomore Kiera Derrig, who took Studio in Art with Mr. Kunz last year and is currently enrolled in Sena’s Drawing and Painting class.

In the classroom, these three amigos keep students focused and enthusiastically participating. Sophia Sacchetti, who is also a sophomore, adds, “They are both very insightful and are really good at directing us and our work.” Gemma Ortiz, a sophomore, notes “Mr. Sena shows great dedication to his artwork and his students.” These teachers have a positive attitude and a wonderful ability to cheer up their students when they are having a bad day. Josh Polansky, a junior who was enrolled in Turner’s Photo Illustration class last year, says, “Mrs. Turner is awesome because she is kind and caring. She’s always there to make you laugh and brighten up your day.” Kierstin Aroksaar, who is also junior, was in Polansky’s class last year. “Mrs. Turner is always smiling and never failed to put me in a good mood in Photo Illustration last year,” she comments. Junior Toni Stefanakos, who is currently registered in Turner’s Photo Illustration class, adds, “Mrs. Turner has such great enthusiasm, and it’s a great pick-me-up at 8:00am. Her enthusiasm is contagious!”

Each one of these teachers has a specific approach to teaching that helps students prosper as artists and grow into creative and blissful individuals.

Armed with paintbrushes, charcoal, and other artist tools, Kunz, Sena, and Turner are Lynbrook “family.”