Tri-M’s Annual Cabaret Night Showcases Musical Talent

Photo Courtesy of Jane Sloan

LHS’s music department is home to many singers, actors, actresses, and instrumentalists, all of whom are given the opportunity to showcase their talents during Cabaret Night. Hosted by the Tri-M Music Honor Society, this year’s annual event was held on the evening of Friday, Jan. 19. That night, the cafeteria, adorned with decorations, was packed with family members, friends, relatives, teachers, and Lynbrook residents. The revenue generated from ticket sales is to be donated to local food pantries.  

The night was hosted by Tri-M President Olivia Pollicino and Vice President Zach Buxton, both seniors. Pollicino and Buxton were excited by the outcome of the night. “This year, Cabaret Night featured 16 musical performances that were all amazing. I was so impressed by everyone’s talents and happy that everyone in the audience seemed to be really enjoying the show,” Pollicino expressed. In the days before the event, performers, with the help of teachers, practiced their acts countless times to ensure the night was perfect. “It was a huge success. I personally am extremely proud of all the performers. Seeing how far they have progressed since auditions is my favorite part of it all,” Buxton shared.

Gianna Longo

As the audience flooded in, entertainment was provided by the brass ensemble, led by band teacher Brian White, and featured trumpet, trombone, baritone, and French horn players. Act One began at 7 PM, with junior Gianna Longo and sophomore Sophia Schoen dueting “Chiquitita” from the hit musical Mamma Mia. “Our act was lighthearted and comedic, and it suited both Gianna’s and my big theatrical personalities,” Schoen explained. The two truly brought this song to life with their outstanding voices and perfect harmonies. “I chose to perform ‘Chiquitita’ with [Gianna] because I knew that it would be a performance I could look back on and say that I had a lot of fun singing with my friend,” Schoen added. Buxton and junior Jack Ceglie were another powerful duo, performing “What You Own” from Broadway’s Rent. After their memorable rendition of “Agony” from Into the Woods during Cabaret Night 2023, they continued their legacy as some of the most talented male singers in the music department. Buxton was excited to share the spotlight with Ceglie once again: “Jack is an extremely talented singer, and I’m glad I did another performance with him before I graduate.”  

Gianna Longo

The night continued with several instrumental acts, including a string quartet composed of seniors Mae Dooling, Stephanie Neri, Olivia Pollicino, and Parker Sloan. The four displayed their remarkable talent through “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay. “We chose this [song] because it’s a popular song that we thought would be both familiar and entertaining to the crowd,” Pollicino explained. Violinist freshman Ian Fishman, accompanied by freshman Erin Fishman on the piano, performed “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley; sophomore Timothy Neri sang “1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins; sophomore Molly Schutzman performed “On My Own” from Les Misérables; and junior Liam Mylan sang “As the World Caves In” by Matt Maltese. Pollicino was especially impressed with Mylan’s number: “I thought the song suited his voice, and his whole performance was so emotional. I could tell it had a strong impact on so many people in the audience.” 

After a short intermission, the night continued with sophomore Alexa Rutigliano singing “Part of Your World” from The Little Mermaid. “I chose this song because I grew up singing it, and it’s really special to me,” she said. Rutigliano recently starred in LHS’s production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and was excited to continue her musical career with her first Cabaret Night: “The outcome was really exciting, and I enjoyed watching all the performances.” Following Rutigliano, senior Aubrie-Lynn Wilkonski took the audience back to the 1940s with “Frim Fram Sauce” by Redd Evans. “Aubrie really pulled together a captivating performance that was jazzy, and had the audience completely engaged. She really is a natural performer with an amazing voice,” Schoen noted.  

Photo Courtesy of Jen Aboud

One unique number contained musicians of almost every kind: “My Way” by Frank Sinatra featured junior Justin Williams as vocalist, freshman Connor Buxton on trumpet, Zachary Buxton on trombone, sophomore Aidan Michaels on French horn, junior Eric Reilly on violin, junior Brady Rogan on clarinet, and senior Jake Schettini on the drums. The group was a massive hit; their unbelievable rendition was one of the most beloved acts of the night.   

Junior Andrew Malinka closed off the night singing “Brown-Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison. Accompanied by freshman Delia Kirkpatrick and Parker Sloan on the guitar, and freshman Lily Sloan on the alto saxophone, Malinka’s comical version of the song was a memorable final act. “‘Brown Eyed Girl’ was an act that stood out to me because it was full of energy and [was] enjoyable,” Rutigliano remarked.  

Once again, Cabaret Night was a success, celebrating the talented individuals who are part of the music department. After the hard work that went into preparing for the night and practicing the numbers, the outcome was spectacular. “I have gotten so much positive feedback from friends, family, teachers, and strangers congratulating everyone on a great night,” Buxton reminisced.