“Mean Girls”: The New Musical Movie Makes “Fetch” Happen… Again!

“Mean Girls”: The New Musical Movie Makes Fetch Happen… Again!
Stacey Krivitsky

Get in, loser, Mean Girls is back! The iconic young adult comedy gained instant fame after its 2004 premiere, and has since evolved into a Broadway musical, and now it will be taking the spotlight once again…in musical film form. Recently premiering in theaters on January 12, the new movie mirrors the original storyline, but adds a modern flair with many musical numbers and more Gen Z elements such as cell phones and social media.

Adapted from the 2017 Broadway musical, a lot of the dialogue and plot development occurs through songs. All three versions of Mean Girls – the original film, the stage production, and the musical movie – were written by Tina Fey. The new musical movie was co-produced by Lorne Michaels and directed by Arturo Perez and Samantha Jayne, features a compelling score by Jeff Richmond with lyrics by Nell Benjamin.

Notably, the film’s marketing has refrained from explicitly labeling it as a musical, resulting in trailers that reveal minimal singing. Despite initial perceptions of it being just another dull revival of a classic movie, the new film is, in fact, an adaptation of the stage musical inspired by the original movie. Especially in the case of other new movies such as The Color Purple and Wonka, despite both having popular stage musicals, their predecessor movies were both non-musicals; so many people not familiar with the stage musicals might be caught off guard. The term “musical” may cause a negative stigma, which many people may want to avoid.

The cast of the new musical movie includes several familiar faces reprising roles from the stage musical and film, along with a range of new actors for the main characters. Reneé Rapp returns to her role as Regina George after portraying the character in the Broadway musical. Tim Meadows and Tina Fey also make a comeback, reprising their roles from the original film as Principal Duvall and Ms. Norbury, respectively. Ashley Park, known for her role as Gretchen Wieners in the musical production, makes a cameo appearance as a new character, Madame Park.

Unfortunately, amidst expressing interest in making cameo appearances, original stars Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, and Lacey Chabert from the 2004 film were not featured in the new movie. However, the audience can anticipate seeing another original star making a brief appearance in the new film. Other cast members include Angourie Rice as Cady Heron, Christopher Briney as Aaron Samuels, Auli’i Cravalho as Janis ‘Imi’ike, Jaquel Spivey as Damian Hubbard, Bebe Wood as Gretchen Wieners, and Avantika Vandanapu as Karen Shetty.

Much like the 2004 version and the stage production, the new Mean Girls film follows the story of teenage student Cady Heron. Cady has never known what “high school” truly meant; she has just arrived at a new high school in suburban Illinois after growing up in the African savanna, homeschooled by her zoologist mother. 

Cady finally gets to experience public school but encounters the cruel reality of popularity that divides her fellow students into distinct cliques. Early on, she forms a connection with two kind-hearted teenagers, Damian and Janis, who, in high school terms, belong to the “out crowd.” Soon, she meets the Plastics – Regina, the queen bee; Gretchen, devoted to Regina; and Karen, described as “one of the dumbest people you will ever meet.”

Despite apprehensions, Cady is quickly welcomed into the Plastics’ circle. Balancing her newfound alliance with her initial friends becomes a challenge. Encouraged by Damian and Janis, Cady decides to play a game, aiming to uncover the Plastics’ secrets and share a laugh. However, things take an unexpected turn when Cady falls for Regina’s ex-boyfriend, Aaron. Regina, discovering this, retaliates by reclaiming Aaron, setting off a chain of events. 

What initially started as a game to unveil secrets transforms into a mission to dismantle Regina’s social standing. Collaborating with Janis and Damian, Cady plots to bring Regina down. Yet, the more time Cady spends with the Plastics, she too, begins to become one.

Having experienced both the 2004 rendition and the Broadway production, the musical movie adaptation exceeded my expectations. The new film remixes character moments and iconic lines from the original film through both a musical and social media lens. The overall experience was not just fun and entertaining, but also remarkably hilarious and clever with its blend of both classic and new jokes. The film strikes a perfect balance, offering a fresh perspective to keep the audience engaged while skillfully incorporating enough elements from the original to evoke a sense of nostalgia. 

The fabulous narrators, Janis and Damian, radiated a lot of energy and were powerhouse vocalists, along with Rapp’s excellent rendition of Regina. Unfortunately, amidst the young audience’s obsession with Briney, he does not sing in the new movie. Additionally, despite reviews disappointed in Rice’s vocals for Cady, I found that her more delicate singing voice resonated well with the portrayal of her naïve and awkward character.

Alongside the integration of modern technology into the new film, character name changes have been implemented to promote diversity. In honor of Vandanapu’s Indian heritage Karen Smith is now Karen Shetty and in honor of Cravalho’s Hawaiian heritage, Janis Ian has been reimagined as Janis ‘Imi’ike.

In revisiting the iconic world of Mean Girls, the new musical movie seamlessly weaves together the familiar threads of high school drama with a contemporary twist. The film not only pays homage to its predecessor but also strives to resonate with today’s audiences. Whether you are a longtime fan or a newcomer to Mean Girls, this latest installment offers a delightful blend of nostalgia and a modern take on the complexities of adolescence.