What Happened to Romeo?: “& Juliet” Review

Stacey Krivitsky

& Juliet, a reimagined version of the Shakespearean masterpiece Romeo and Juliet, has been running the Broadway stage with its enchanting performances since October 2022, following successful runs in Manchester, the West End, Toronto, and most recently, Melbourne. This coming-of-age jukebox musical, featuring 32 captivating songs by the renowned Swedish songwriter Max Martin, takes audiences on a musical journey spanning from the ‘90s to present day.

The musical soundtrack includes iconic songs by the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Jessie J, Robyn, Kesha, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Bon Jovi, Ellie Goulding, Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert, Iggy Azalea, The Weeknd, Celine Dion, P!nk, NSYNC, and Justin Timberlake.

Lorna Courtney takes center stage as the heroine, Juliet. Also joining her in the cast are Tony winner Paulo Szot as Lance, Tony nominee Stark Sands as Shakespeare, Betsy Wolfe as Anne Hathaway, Justin David Sullivan as May, Ben Jackson Walker as Romeo, Philippe Arroyo as Francois, and original West End cast member Melanie La Barrie as Angelique.

The curtain rises with William Shakespeare introducing his latest production, welcoming the audience to witness the evolution of Romeo and Juliet (“Larger than Life”). Anne Hathaway, Shakespeare’s wife, disrupts the traditional narrative by proposing an alternative ending where Juliet survives Romeo’s death (“…Baby One More Time”). This sets the stage for a unique journey as Juliet, joined by her non-binary friend May and nurse Angelique, embarks on a road trip to Paris, written into the story by Anne (“Domino”).

In Paris, Juliet and her companions crash a ball, creating a series of revelations and conflicts. Francois, the host’s son, and Juliet form a connection, challenging societal expectations (“Confident”). Meanwhile, the past relationships of Angelique and Lance resurface, adding to the unfolding drama (“Teenage Dream/Break Free”). As Juliet navigates her engagement to Francois, unexpected twists emerge, including the resurrection of Romeo, who is determined to reclaim his wife (“It’s My Life”).

The drama intensifies as Francois proposes to Juliet, setting off a chain reaction of emotional confrontations and confessions (“Since U Been Gone”). The characters grapple with conflicting emotions, secrets, and the pressure of societal expectations (“Whataya Want From Me”). Shakespeare attempts to cause further complexity, bringing back Romeo and forcing the characters to confront their intertwined fates (“I Kissed a Girl”). Anne challenges Shakespeare’s creative decisions, leading to a breaking point in their relationship.

The wedding scene becomes a pivotal moment as characters present their true feelings, challenging the predetermined paths set for them (“As Long as You Love Me”). Juliet and Francois reconsider their marriage, paving the way for unexpected pairings and resolutions (“It’s Gonna Be Me”). The climax sees Juliet reclaiming control of her destiny, rejecting parental authority, and embracing newfound confidence (“Roar”).

& Juliet concludes with a harmonious resolution in the final act. Shakespeare and Anne reconcile, realizing the importance of allowing characters to make their own choices (“I Want It That Way – Reprise”). The play within a play mirrors the real-life dynamics between Shakespeare and Anne, blurring the lines between fiction and reality. As the characters embark on new beginnings, the audience witnesses a celebration of love, individualism, and the power of rewriting one’s own narrative (“Can’t Stop the Feeling!”). & Juliet not only reimagines a classic tale but also serves as a testament to the enduring themes of love, choice, and self-discovery.

While remaining faithful to the essence of the original characters, the musical introduces subtle adjustments to align with modern sensibility. For instance, Juliet’s age transitioned from 13 to her mid-20s. Notably, the production embraces inclusivity and modern perspectives by incorporating same-sex marriages, showcasing racial and body diversity in its cast, and celebrating gender nonconformity.

& Juliet was an absolute delight. It radiates a perfect blend of fun, humor, entertainment, and suspense, all while delivering a powerful message of female empowerment. The production is visually spectacular, with stunning costumes, beautiful sets, and an engaging pre-show that sets the stage for a memorable experience. The cast’s performance is nothing short of amazing, with each member doing justice to the incredible songs featured in the musical. While some may be apprehensive about jukebox musicals or alterations to already beloved songs, & Juliet presents music that is altered in a brilliantly humorous way that adds a refreshing twist without detracting from the essence of the originals. It often cleverly mocks the simplicity of some of Martin’s lyrics, particularly those hollow and generic love songs.

& Juliet is exactly the show Broadway needs right now: a burst of fun, joy, and hilarity, all excellently performed by a talented and diverse cast. It is definitely the most fun one can have on Broadway now.