Giants Assistant Coach Makes Baseball History

Photo+by+John+Ruddock+on+Unsplash%0A++
Photo by John Ruddock on Unsplash

Following the San Francisco Giants’ recent firing of four-year manager Gabe Kapler, the Giants front office is scrambling for possible candidates to fill his position. Kapler had only managed one playoff appearance in his four-year span with the other three years being described as “sub-par.” In his only winning season, the Orioles strung together an impressive 107-win season, earning him Manager of the Year Award in 2021. Subsequently, his other three years were not to the same avail as 2021, and in 2023, he got fired after a 79-win season with a WPCT (Winning Percentage) twenty-two points below .500.

Multiple candidates have been included in the conversation, but, specifically, current San Francisco Giants assistant coach Alyssa Nakken has been highlighted by the media. Nakken is the league’s first female full-time coach, and she is looking to make history as the first female manager in Major League Baseball (MLB) history. Nakken’s athletic background certainly will aid her in standing out against the other candidates as she made a name for herself in the world of college athletics. In high school, she was a tri-sport athlete playing volleyball, basketball, and softball, but she decided to commit to California State University at Sacramento (CSU) where she played college softball. In her four-year career, she achieved numerous awards, including First-Team All-League Choice in her senior season, second team in her junior and sophomore seasons, and honorable mention in her inaugural season. Additionally, she was selected as a four-time All-Pacific Coast Softball Conference player throughout her career at CSU.

Nakken’s recent interview for a managerial position has also coincided with more women joining minor and major league staffs. Recently, Rachel Balkovec was named the manager of the New York Yankees’ Low-A affiliate and has kept that position for the past two seasons. Moreover, Miami Marlins general manager (GM) position was vacant in 2020 and was filled by Kim Ng where she was named the first female GM in a major league North American men’s professional sports team. Junior Kylie Schroeder commented, “This interview is a momentous occasion because this is a never-before-seen occurrence in the male sports world. This is really cool.”

Nakken has become an inspiration for female athletes around the globe, as this unprecedented interview is inspiring young aspiring athletes throughout the world. Sophomore Julia Quinn added, “She is very inspiring to me as a woman and to women around the world. She is a woman who is leading by example for future women getting implemented into the male sports world.”

Before the interview for the managerial position, Nakken was already making history when she filled in for first-base coach Antoan Richardson when he was ejected in a game against the San Diego Padres. Nakken also previously coached first base during some select Spring Training games. In doing so, she became the first female coach to be on the field in MLB history. Sophomore Angelina Macchia added, “She is a very influential woman whom I admire greatly. I adore her dedication and persistence.”