The Freshest Costumes for Halloween 2023

Photo+by+Nick+Fewings+on+Unsplash%0A++
Photo by Nick Fewings on Unsplash

Every year, when Halloween rolls around, many struggle to find a costume. While some people have had an idea since summer, for others, the first of October is a wakeup call that Halloween is just around the corner.  For anyone who still has no idea what to do, here are three trending looks to try out on the 31st.

Everyone remembers when the Barbie movie came out and took over theaters in July, and how Oppenheimer was released on the same day. Hence, many people have been doing a mashup of the two, recognized as “Barbenheimer,” for a fun and delightful single or duet costume. Freshman Hana DeSilva enjoys the concept of Barbenheimer: “I love how Barbie is something positive and pink and how Oppenheimer is the total opposite.” Senior Charles Reis agreed and added, “I think Barbenheimer costumes are so fun and could be a very cute couples costume, especially if they look good.”

More recently, Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce and singer/songwriter Taylor Swift went official as a couple in September of 2023. This sprung a new couples’ costume idea, where one partner dresses up for the field and the other is ready to perform. DeSilva remarked, “The Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift costume is really clever for a couples costume.” Junior Kylie Schroeder expressed, “I’m not sure how you would dress up as Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, but I think that’s pretty interesting because I have never seen that yet.”

Finally, to those who aspire for a scarier look for Halloween, ideas can be drawn from new horror and thriller films that came out this year. Evil Dead Rise, The Boogeyman, and Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey, are just some of the new hit horror films this year. A classic costume is “Ghostface” from the Scream collection, and since Scream VI was released this year, this October is the perfect time to try the costume out. 

Some students shared other ideas they had for dressing up. Reis suggested costumes inspired by the classics: “The Joker, Dorothy, Snow White, and Skier.” Schroeder recalled another spinoff of Barbie, “Cowboy Barbie and Ken,” as an alternative costume from the movie.

Whether one is aiming for something cute with a significant other or wanting to be the scariest one on the block, these costumes are sure to get some looks.