Club Spotlight: Environmental Club

Environmental Club Instagram @environmental_club_lhs and Robyn Raleigh

Club members with Kindergarten Center students after reading to them

Club members Sophia Scorcia (L) and Olivia Lanteri (R) recruit new members at the club fair (Environmental Club Instagram @environmental_club_lhs and Robyn Raleigh)
The club enjoying the great outdoors on a group hiking trip (Environmental Club Instagram @environmental_club_lhs and Robyn Raleigh)

Containing group members that range from earth enthusiasts to environmentalists, LHS’s Environmental Club is composed of a diverse body of students who care deeply for the school and its surrounding community. Advised by special education teacher Robyn Raleigh, the club has done work educating its members and LHS about the environment, especially around the time of Earth Day. During this year’s “Earth Month,” as the club calls April, members decorated the display case in the cafeteria, went on a hike at Connetquot River State Park, and read to students at the Kindergarten Center about the importance of keeping the earth green. Towards the end of the year, members anticipate beach and town cleanups, bike/walk-to-school days, and even a return visit from the Kona Ice Truck. They also plan to plant a tree in the back of LHS, accompanying the tree the club planted last year dubbed “Pepino Gurke,” which translates to “cucumber cucumber” in Spanish and German, respectively. 

“I absolutely love working with young people who are passionate about nature and the earth,” said Raleigh, expressing her admiration for the club members. She is especially proud of the club for organizing a shoe drive with Soles4Souls and an upcycling project for children at Night of the Pumpkins earlier this year. Raleigh also noted the multiple beach cleanups the students have taken part in, as well as educating LHS about the dangers of car idling and single-use plastics. “It is important that [LHS] has an environmental club so we can raise awareness about environmental issues and empower students to know that their actions can make a difference,” Raleigh said.

Club member and junior Amelia Doyle has been instrumental in organizing the beach cleanups, joining the club specifically to recruit students for this task. Thus, her favorite activity with the club has been the running the semiannual cleanups, a central component of her own organization, Restore the Seas. Doyle values the club for its goal to get students involved in helping the environment. “Our events really bring the community together and help make our town more environmentally conscious,” she said. She encourages LHS students to join due to the club’s “super chill” and welcoming vibe. “If you have an idea or passion and would want to run an event, this club will support you through it.”

For freshman Joaquin Martin, his friends’ involvement in the club and general interest in the environment was enough for him to join. His favorite aspect so far has been the experience of being in a club; he looks forward to gaining additional knowledge of the earth at future meetings. Martin thinks the club is an asset to LHS because of the opportunities it presents to educate students about the environment and their impact on it. He suggests that people should join the Environmental Club to understand the changing climate and how they can minimize their individual impact.

Senior Allison Anemone joined the Environmental Club because of its community. She loves the members’ caring attitude towards each other and their ideas. “All of our voices are heard,” Anemone said. She also joined to do her part for the planet and to educate herself on more environmental issues. Her favorite activities have been reading to the Kindergarten Center and planting Pepino Gurke. Last year, her book of choice to read to the kindergarteners focused on the importance of bees, making even the youngest Lynbrook students aware of their critical role in ecosystems. 

Anemone believes the club is important because of its ability to get people outside of it to help with environmental issues. “The club participated or hosted many beach cleanups where many students and parents participated,” she said. “At one beach cleanup, we collected almost 40 pounds of trash. Also, my freshman year, we sold reusable straws that I still sometimes see students or teachers using.” Thus, the Environmental Club offers a plethora of opportunities and experiences for students to form a healthier relationship with nature.