Extracurricular Excitement!

Extracurricular+Excitement%21

At LHS, we pride ourselves in hosting a multitude of successful extracurriculars, ranging from fundraising clubs to the yearbook. The majority of clubs and leaders have decided to persevere safely this year, following CDC and Lynbrook administration guidelines. In an announcement made via email by Principal Joseph Rainis, he shared that, although subject to change, 15 clubs will run this year. With flexibility and creativity, Lynbrook students and staff have been able to reconfigure club meetings and activities, trading in-person meetings for Webex, and events for websites. More information can be found on the Lynbrook Public Schools website.

Lynbrook’s Key Club, run by Virtual Enterprise Teacher Benedict Tiebner, is a great example of a club that successfully operated via an online platform. The club ran a popcorn fundraiser, which raised around $18,000 dollars for a variety of causes. Although Key Club seemed to transition with ease, Club Co-President Marti Candel admitted,“The online platform has its benefits and troubles.” 

Candel added that “companies came out with ways to fundraise virtually which helped us expand and reach out to many more donors. Key Club has never been so motivated to succeed. If we continue to preserve and adjust to the circumstances, we will not let anything stop us from reaching our highest potential. Selling thousands of dollars in popcorn opened our eyes to how much people love to participate to benefit such amazing causes.” Key Club is a great example of the sense of adaptability and creativity that everyone must have this year.

Juniors Emma Ward and Sophie Ward opened a Scope Club chapter in Lynbrook, a club that raises money to send underprivileged children with special needs to sleepaway camp. Emma said, “Since many things for the club have always been done online, such as publicizing through social media and contacting people, I think right now is similar to before. Fundraising and collaborating will be more difficult, but it is easy to orchestrate meetings and spread messages through social media.”
They also shared that they hope to run similar fundraisers to last year, like a Dine and Donate at Savino’s, or selling tickets for Hofstra men’s basketball. “All of this can be done, but it will have to be modified because of coronavirus,” Sophie said.

The 2020 freshman class has experienced joining clubs very differently than in other years. Freshman Charles Reis said, “I was very excited about joining clubs and other extracurriculars at LHS, like track and cross country. Yes, this year is different than what I expected when I first thought of high school, but I appreciate the precautions the school is taking, while still trying to give us an enjoyable club experience.” 

Other clubs, such as speech and debate, mathletes, National History Day, and science olympiad will host virtual competitions. Students can maintain their competitive spirit and continue to excel in their fields against surrounding districts. Honor Societies, including Tri-M, Science, Math, and Art, will also continue to run via Webex meeting.

As the school year progresses, clubs, sports, and extracurriculars will hopefully return to normal. But, for now, the students and staff of LHS will continue to persevere, while ensuring everyone remains safe and healthy.