New at LHS: Women in STEM Club

Despite a growing push towards diversity, STEM fields, comprising of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, are disproportionately dominated by men. To encourage female participation in science related endeavors, LHS is introducing a new Women in STEM club. With the help of Physics and Engineering Teacher Bardyl Fejzo, the club aims to bridge the gap of gender disparity in STEM by building important skills necessary to excel in science-related fields and educate the student body on the power of diversity at driving innovation.

The idea for the club came from seniors Maria Russotti and Arpie Bakhshian after noticing the efficiency and collaboration present in their female-dominated science research class. Russotti stated, “Typically, growing up, males are more interested in science and mathematics, so I was surprised to see our science research class composed of 90% women. This sparked our idea for the club because we saw firsthand how female collaboration in science is successful. We want to spread this phenomenon so that younger women can be encouraged to pursue their passions for science.”

Nationally, women make up only a small proportion in the science and engineering workforce, with the largest disparities occurring in the engineering, physical sciences, and computer science fields. According to a Jan. 9, 2018, Pew Research Center (pewsocialtrends.org) article entitled, “Diversity in the STEM workforce varies widely across jobs,” a 2016 study revealed that women make up 25% of computer occupations and just 14% of engineering jobs. The likely cause for such a disparity in gender representation is that women are not always encouraged to participate in these areas.

Another key motivation for the club is the idea that STEM industries are ripe with stereotypes that males are more suited for careers in science. Bakhshian stated, “Negative stereotypes are prominent in our current society, affecting young women in the way they think, even affecting their confidence levels by adding an extra burden. For example, a female student taking a math test experiences an extra cognitive and emotional burden of worry because of the negative stereotype that women are not good at math.” From as early as kindergarten, society emphasizes the importance of science less to girls than boys. Much of this is due to advertising for science related toys, including blocks or Legos, is often aimed towards boys. Senior Elena Grajales stated, “Growing up, I mostly played with typical girly toys like dolls. I was never really bought legos, but I definitely think I would have enjoyed them as a child.”

To bring about a diverse gender populace in STEM fields in Lynbrook, the club has a busy schedule ahead. Members of the club plan to attend an Annual Women in STEM Conference in New York City set to take place on Mar. 8, 2020. In addition, to bring diversity closer to Lynbrook, the club will educate the student body on issues of gender disparity by viewing TED Talks, documentaries, and visiting local middle schools to speak about career opportunities in STEM to young girls. Russotti added, “We would love to host an event that welcomes women in STEM careers to speak to young women at LHS wanting to go into the field.” Bakhshian stated, “We will also try to teach club members critical skills in STEM fields like MatLab, which is an important programming tool.”

The new Women in STEM club aims to simultaneously fight gender disparity and encourage LHS’s student body to participate in the sciences. As Russotti stated, “Diverse teams are more effective at problem solving when different voices, viewpoints, expertise, and life experiences are brought to hear.”