Girls’ Varsity Lax Finishes Season Strong

Another year, another amazing season for girls’ varsity lacrosse. The team won eleven games this regular season and lost only four. The team’s most notable win came against a strong Locust Valley team, which it beat 9-8. 

Sophomore Jenna Hendrickson was the team’s points leader this season with 73 goals and 15 assists, securing her rank as fifth across Nassau County for points, a large feat for the young star. Junior Elizabeth Murphy followed with 45 goals and 35 assists, earning her a place in the top 10 for point leaders. Murphy plans to continue her lacrosse career at the collegiate level at the University of Cincinnati with the class of 2024.

With two offensive powerhouses like these, the team’s success comes as no surprise. However, the team certainly improved with time, saving its best performances for the end of the season. As sophomore Marti Candel explained, “[The team] improved as the season went on and learned from [its] mistakes.” This is apparent in its impressive season-ending, seven-game win streak. Freshman Kyla Nembach added, “Everyone improved together as a team.” 

The team’s success may partly be contributed to the close bond players all know and love. Candel spoke about her favorite part of being a part of varsity lacrosse: “The friends that I made and the bonds that I have created.”  

The team had an amazing regular season, but it was far from over; the girls headed for the playoffs, and coming off a seven game winning streak, the team was ready.

The team’s first playoff game came against Division, who finished its season 10-6. The Owls had not faced them all season, but that did not stop them from coming out strong. Freshman Grace Bodian started the game by scoring in the first minutes of the first half. The team ended the half strong by scoring eight goals and only allowing Division to score three. Entering the second half with a six-goal lead did not affect their play; the Owls brought the heat until the final buzzer. They scored six more goals in that half and allowed their opponents only three. Lynbrook’s victory was led by Hendrickson, who scored six goals and had one assist.  Murphy and junior Kayleigh Stalter added three goals and two goals, respectively. Together, those three offensive dynamos dominated the faceoff circle, combining for 16 faceoff wins. Senior Casey Kaplan also added a goal in the victory. Sophomore Mason Benvenuto, who also added points for the win, stated: “We played the best we have ever played together. We really connected and played together.” After this victory, the team was set to face North Shore.

North Shore, a Conference-I team(one conference higher than Lynbrook), finished its season 7-9. Matched with this fierce competition, the Owls gave it their all, but could not pull out a victory and suffered an unfortunate loss of  20-6. The loss was the team’s first in a month, but, unfortunately, it was a season-ending one. The team finished the season with an overall record of 12-5 and a conference record of 5-4. While that game may have ended on a bad note, the girls’ varsity lacrosse team still had an amazing season.