Cell Phones, Hoods, Headphones, Oh My!

In the midst of the enforcement of the headphone, cellphone, and hoodie policy, there has been a lot of controversy around students and teachers’ thoughts on it, with many of the students believing that the policy is too strict.

Headphones, unlike cell phones, are banned all throughout the building, including the library, which can sometimes make it very difficult for students to concentrate. Often, there are students talking or classes being taught in the library, making it difficult for students to focus. A simple solution for many is to plug in their headphones in an attempt to block out the noise; however, that is no longer an option. Students should be allowed to use headphones in the library, cafeteria, or the classroom when there is a substitute teacher because it can help students feel more relaxed and get work done. “That is how some people focus. If it is not loud, then it should be fine,” says sophomore Sophia Malcangi. In addition, it may help kids who sometimes sit alone at lunch feel less lonely and less embarrassed. While headphones are provided in the library, many of them are broken and bulky, making those who wear them uncomfortable. Overall, music is an outlet for many that helps with the several pressures and stresses in the school day.

Meanwhile, the cell phone policy is somewhat more lenient in that students can use them in just the cafeteria; if they were permitted to use them in the library, it would be a big distraction for those who are in there to read or get their homework done. If cell phones were allowed in classrooms, those environments would become very difficult to focus in and it would be unproductive.

However, the hoodie policy is not as justifiable because some may feel more comfortable and less exposed while wearing them. A common belief against hoods is that wearing them is disrespectful–but how? When a student decides to put their hood on, there are other reasons they do so, without the intent of acting disrespectfully. “I think that outside of class it should be okay to do it,” says sophomore Kim Tejada. If a student is on task while wearing a hood, then they should be permitted to do so. A hood can act as a form of security and make one feel safer. In order for students to learn to their best potential, they must be comfortable, and it has been proven that comfort leads to better productivity, focus, and learning. “In the hallway, we should have our hoods and headphones because it’s not affecting the students or teachers, but in class, we should not have the hoods and the headphones on,” agrees Malcangi. Additionally, it is an inconvenience for the teachers to have to stop a student in the hallway to tell them to take their hood off or their headphones out.