Emmy Awards

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emmy Awards

NBC

NBC

NBC

The 70th annual Emmy Awards, hosted by Colin Jost and Michael Che of Saturday Night Live, took place on Sep. 19. The Emmys praise and reward TV shows based on acting, directing, and writing, and groups the TV shows into categories such as comedies, drama, and more.

This year, the Emmys had many exciting factors in store for its viewers. To start the show, the cast of Saturday Night Live decided to bring attention to the lack of diversity on television and in the Hollywood world. This year was the most diverse group of Emmy nominees in history, and they had an opening song referring to solving Hollywood’s diversity problems.

After the exciting opening, Glenn Weiss won his 14th Emmy, an “Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special” award, for his work on The Oscars, and he used the opportunity to propose to Jan Svendsen on stage, earning a huge standing ovation and beaming reactions.

Sandra Oh, the lead of Grey’s Anatomy and Killing Eve, made history as the first woman of Asian descent to be nominated for best lead actress in the drama category. Not only was this an accomplishment for her, it was a huge source of pride for her parents, who did not originally support her acting career. They came around and gladly accompanied her to the event. As Oh explained to Vanity Fair, “Getting my parents’ approval as an actress wasn’t an easy road, especially with a lawyer sister and geneticist brother.” She continued, “Koreans are ambitious. It means a lot to my parents that I do the work that I do and it has the visibility.”

Oh did not end up receiving the Emmy award, and many fans were upset. Senior Alyssa Burton comments, “While it’s a shame that Sandra Oh was not recognized for her extraordinary talents, her nomination was a step in the right direction for equal representation in the entertainment industry.”

Sweeping the comedy categories, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was nominated for 14 awards and beat many fan favorites, such as Atlantic. Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino won an Emmy not only for her writing, but also for directing the series pilot. Sherman-Palladino was shocked at this result, especially because it made her the first woman to earn both awards. Along with the creator winning awards, Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein won best actress and best supporting actress in comedy, respectively.

This year, the Emmys had many firsts for everyone. Hollywood also broke social barriers and showed how true diversity should be appreciated every day.

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

New Year, New Awards: 2019 Golden Globes

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

Is It “All We Ever Wanted”?

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

Black Mirror’s Twist: “Bandersnatch”

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

Charmed Puts a Spell on Viewers

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

NAHS Spreads Holiday Spirit

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

Fantastic Beasts: A “Fan”-tastic Sequal

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

Unconventional Fashion Trends of 2018

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

A Tribute to Stan Lee

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

Five Feet Apart Review

• Emmy Awards

Arts & Entertainment

Beautiful Boy: A Beautiful Movie

Emmy Awards