What Makes Stanleys and Hydro Flasks So Popular?

Photo by Gary Tou on Unsplash

One of the latest crazes in 2023 and early 2024 is Stanley cups. William Stanley Jr.’s metal containers were first made in 1913. These cups, however, have grown very popular this past year. The Stanley cups come in 26 assorted colors and designs, and vary in sizes: 14, 20, 30, and 40 ounces. The 40-ounce cup is the most popular. Stanleys are being sold on the company’s website for about $35.00-$45.00 each, and they often sell out within hours, sometimes even minutes. CNBC reports that the company’s annual revenue was around $70 million in previous years but grew to more than $750 million in 2023, four years after release of the new cup design. CNBC also reports the company’s revenue was $73 million in 2019, then jumped to $94 million in 2020. It grew more than double to $194 million in 2021, and to the staggering $750 million last year. CNBC added that Stanley sold 10 million more water bottles than Hydro Flasks since 2020.

In 2019, the craze was for Hydro Flasks. Hydro Flasks were first made in 2009 in Bend, Oregon. They sell on the Hydro Flask website for around $30.00-$40.00 each, depending on size, and they come in over 40 colors. There are eight different sizes to choose from on the website:12, 18, 20, 21, 24, 32, 40, and 64-ounce models with the 18, 21, and 32-ounce models being the three most common purchases.

Photo by Natilyn Photography on Unsplash

What makes these water bottles different than others, and do they deserve the hype? Freshman Regan Casey said, “I think the most eye-catching part of a Hydro Flask is the wide variety of colors.” On the other hand, freshman Kelsey Ambrosio said, “I love that Stanleys have a handle on the side to carry them around with.” There was a release of new Valentine’s Day Stanleys that dropped on December 31 at Target and Starbucks that caused people to wait in line at 3:00 a.m. People fought each other to be first in line. Some people seem to have gone crazy for these cups. Ambrosio said, “I first heard about Stanleys on Tiktok. Every time I swiped, there was a new video about them, which made me want them more.”

Hydro Flasks, unlike Stanleys, have a straw that folds over and is hidden, which creates less spills. Casey said, “I am able to bring my Hydro Flask to practice, and it doesn’t spill when it falls over.” Stanleys come in larger sizes with long straws that cannot fold over, but some people buy a straw cover, which is an additional purchase and does not come with the standard cup. Freshman Lily DiMaio said, “I use my Stanley more than my Hydro Flask because it holds more water.”

Neither of these water bottles has been proven to be better than the other. They both seem fairly equal in that they come in a variety of colors and sizes. However, Stanleys are too big to fit in cup holders in most cars and travel chairs due to the large handle on the side. Some Hydro Flasks, however, can fit in cup holders since bottles with a handle feature have a strap on the lid. Some say Stanleys are more functional and easier to carry around due to the handle.

Overall, these water bottles have been very influential this past few years for people of all ages. DiMaio said, “I rate my Stanley an 8.5 because it keeps my drinks cold, but it does not fit in most of my bags due to the handle.” People use these water bottles inside and outside of school because of how convenient and cute they are. Casey said, “I use my Hydro Flask at school and when going out to places like practice and walks with friends.” Ambrosio also uses her Stanley outside of school. She said, “I use my Stanley around my house and almost everywhere I go.”