2023 Spotify Wrapped Recap Q&A

Photo+by+Alexander+Shatov+on+Unsplash%0A++
Photo by Alexander Shatov on Unsplash

The time has come! The 2023 Spotify Wrapped compilations have been released. Spotify Wrapped is an annual end-of-year campaign in which users get to see their personalized listening history from 2023. Summarizing users’ top artists, albums, and songs from the year, the personalized statistics have been highly anticipated. Here are LHS students’ 2023 Spotify Wrapped results!

Q: Who were your top five artists?

A: “‘Tyler, The Creator’, David Bowie, CAKE, Billy Joel, and ABBA.” – Sophomore Sophia Schoen

A: “Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Kanye West, The Weeknd, and Pitbull.” – Freshman Lily Dimaio

A: “Harry Styles, Arctic Monkeys, Taylor Swift, The Neighborhood, and The Weeknd.” – Junior Jacqueline Thayer

A: “Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Noah Kahan, Zach Bryan, and The Goo Goo Dolls.” – Junior Kate Santoli

A: “Taylor Swift, Luke Combs, Harry Styles, Kane Brown, and Olivia Rodrigo.” – Junior Gabriella Ramirez

A: “Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Conan Gray, Ed Sheeran, and The Kid Laroi.” – Junior Emily Franklin

A: “Lil Peep, Labyrinth, XXXTENTACION, Sabrina Carpenter, and Billie Eilish.” – Senior Lucia Palumbo

A: “Bad Bunny, Drake, Lil Uzi, Kanye and YNW Melly.” – Sophomore Aliye Simsek

A: “Taylor Swift, Drake, Post Malone, and Tate McRae.” – Senior Amelie Duch

A: “‘Tyler, the Creator,’ Steve Lacy, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, and Kanii.” – Freshman Anabel Ramsey

A: “Cigarettes After Sex, Brent Faiyaz, The Weeknd, SZA, and Childish Gambino.” – Junior Ana Juarez

A: “Taylor Swift, Charlie Puth, Steve Lacy, SZA, and Ariana Grande.” – Freshman Delia Kirkpatrick

Q: What were your top five songs?

A: ““The Distance” – CAKE, “WUSYANAME” (feat. YoungBoy Never Broke Again & Ty Dolla $ign) – ‘Tyler, the Creator’, “DOGTOOTH” – Tyler the Creator, “GONE GONE/THANK YOU” – ‘Tyler, the Creator’, “She’s Always a Woman” – Billy Joel.” Sophomore Sophia Schoen

A: ““Cardigan,” “August,” “Getaway Car,” “Kill Bill,” and “The Great War.”” – Freshman Lily Dimaio

A: ““Romantic Homicide,””Relax,””Lights Up,””For The First Time,” and “Static.” – Junior Jacqueline Thayer

A: ““Betty,” “Stick Season,” “You Are In Love,” “Illicit Affairs,” and “Question…?” – Junior Kate Santoli

A: ““Begin Again,” “Beautiful Crazy,” “Better Together,” “Home Sick,” and “The Lakes.”” – Junior Gabriella Ramirez

A: ““Cardigan,” “Cornelia Street,” “Tis the Damn Season,” “Champagne Problems,” and “Death by a Thousand Cuts.”” – Junior Emily Franklin

A: ““4 Morant,” “Star Shopping,” “Sex Drugs Etc,” “Shirt,” “High Enough.” – Senior Lucia Palumbo

A: ““Great Gatsby, XO Tour Llif3, The Way Life Goes, Wait For You and Best I Ever Had.” – Sophomore Aliye Simsek

A: ““Style” by Taylor Swift, “Virginia Beach” by Drake, “Jimmy Cooks” by Drake, “Socialite” by Post Malone.” – Senior Amelie Duch

A: ““Dark Red” by Steve Lacy, “IFHY” by Tyler’ the Creator, “She’s Homeless” by Creep-P, “Wine Pon You” by Doja Cat, and “Stargirl Interlude”  by The Weeknd (feat: Lana Del Rey).” – Freshman Anabel Ramsey

A: ““Les” by Childish Gambino, “Heart to Heart” by Mac Demarco, “Me And Your Mama” by Childish Gambino, “Pain” by PinkPantheress, and “Shirt” by SZA.” – Junior Ana Juarez

A: ““Style,” “Cruel Summer,” “Done for Me,” “Callin’ To Karma,”  and “Cherry Wine.”” Freshman Delia Kirkpatrick

Q: From your results, what did you find the most surprising?

A:I found CAKE (an indie 90s band) to be surprisingly high up on my list, since I had only listened to a few of their songs this year.” – Sophomore Sophia Schoen

A: “Kanye was one of my most listened to artists; I didn’t realize I listened to him that much.” – Freshman Lily Dimaio

A: “I was surprised at some of my top songs since I feel like I’ve barely listened to them, other than that my results seem accurate.” – Junior Jacqueline Thayer

A: “None of my results were surprising!” – Junior Kate Santoli

A: “I wasn’t surprised by any of my results, they all make sense since I enjoy listening to Taylor Swift and Country.” – Junior Gabriella Ramirez

A: “I was surprised that I listened to 400 artists. I feel like I am usually listening to the same circle of artists, but I guess when you are constantly listening to music throughout the whole year, the artists add up. I was also surprised that Kid Laroi was in my top 5 because even though I did listen to him a lot during March/April, I would have thought that other artists, maybe Gracie Abrams, would have been in that position.” – Junior Emily Franklin

A: “None of my results were surprising this year!” – Senior Lucia Palumbo

A: “My results were accurate and not surprising at all!” – Sophomore Aliye Simsek

A: “I wasn’t surprised by my stats because I listen to music often so I had a pretty good idea which artists and songs would be in my top.” – Senior Amelie Duch

A: “I wasn’t surprised by my results but I was a little disappointed because I primarily used Spotify in the first half of 2023, so it didn’t really fit my current music taste.” – Freshman Anabel Ramsey

A: “SZA was my top 4th artist, and I only have a few songs from her. I would have expected maybe Ariana Grande, Drake, or Childish Gambino at that stat.” – Junior Ana Juarez

A: “My minutes and some of my artists [surprised me]. It was nice they included a clock for each of the artists of what month you listened to them the most in.” – Freshman Delia Kirkpatrick

Q: How do you feel about Taylor Swift being the global top artist?

A: “Even though I’m not a huge fan of Taylor swift, it definitely makes sense that she is a top global artist. She is an amazing performer and an amazing singer.” – Sophomore Sophia Schoen

A: “I think Taylor Swift is a hard-working artist who deserves being the global top artist.” – Freshman Lily Dimaio

A: “Even though I’m not a huge fan of Taylor swift, it definitely makes sense that she is a top global artist. She is an amazing performer and an amazing singer.” – Junior Jacqueline Thayer

A: “I feel really great about it and feel that she definitely deserves it with all the music she’s doing.” – Junior Kate Santoli

A: “I am a big fan of Taylor Swift! She totally deserves this recognition.” – Junior Gabriella Ramirez.

A: “I am so proud of her and how far she has come. It is not surprising in the slightest that she is the top artist, and she totally deserves it.” – Junior Emily Franklin

A: “I’m not a huge fan of her but I know a lot of people are. I was not surprised.” – Senior Lucia Palumbo

A: “Taylor Swift is so cool and I’m glad that she’s #1.” – Sophomore Aliye Simsek

A: “I very much expected Taylor Swift to be the global artist, so it wasn’t surprising when I saw it was released. She was one of my top artists, so I am sure she was also the top artist for many other people, and I mean her music is great so it’s for a very good reason and very well deserved.” – Senior Amelie Duch

A: “Personally I’m not into Taylor Swift and don’t really understand her popularity but I respect her and agree that some of her songs are good. I can understand why it resonates with people (specifically teenage girls).” – Freshman Anabel Ramsey

A: “I am not surprised as Taylor has had a very successful year with the release of her eras tour that went viral. Her re-releases of previous albums, surprised guests at shows, and new looks on stage were bound to make her top artist.” – Junior Ana Juarez

A: “I am super happy for her; she’s worked hard to get there, and it makes sense considering all the hype this year from the Eras Tour plus the movie.” – Freshman Delia Kirkpatrick

Q: Why is there so much hype/excitement about the release of Spotify Wrapped each year?

A: “I think that every year people are excited for Spotify Wrapped to come out because it’s fun to see how your music taste changed after a year, and to see what your new stats are.” – Sophomore Sophia Schoen

A: “There is a lot of hype around Spotify Wrapped because it can surprise you and analyzing the data can be fun to see how much you have listened and streamed throughout the year.” – Freshman Lily Dimaio

A: “Every year people are excited for Spotify Wrapped to come out because it’s fun to see how your music taste changed after a year, and to see what your new stats are.” – Junior Jacqueline Thayer

A: “I feel people like knowing about themselves and people enjoy getting to know what percent of the listener [they] are.” – Junior Kate Santoli

A: “I am motivated to get through the year in order to see my Spotify Wrapped. Sometimes things change so it helps you to reminisce on the past and your memories. I love how everyone can share, compare, and contrast their results.” – Junior Gabriella Ramirez

A: “It is fun to see all of the stats from the past year come together, especially when comparing them with friends and family. Something super weird was that my sister and I had the same exact top 4 artists in the same order. It is just a fun way to end the year and to celebrate the different music artists and genres!” – Junior Emily Franklin

A: “People love to compare their Wrapped with other peoples’. It’s fun and it feels like an early Christmas gift since it comes right before December.” – Senior Lucia Palumbo

A: “Everyone likes Spotify Wrapped to see their artists and how many minutes they listen, and they can talk with their friends about it.” – Sophomore Aliye Simsek

A: “I think people get excited about the Spotify wraps being released because it’s something fun to look back on the year and reflect on what your life was like through the music you listened to throughout the year. I think it’s also fun to compare with your friends and that’s why so many people get excited about it.” – Senior Amelie Duch

A: “Everybody gets so excited because it’s a clear way to show your music taste instead of trying to list your top artists from memory. It’s an easy way to let the world know this is who I am through music.” – Freshman Anabel Ramsey

A: “There’s so much hype surrounding Spotify wrap because it’s something that Spotify does that has a more personal effect on its consumers. It’s a really smart marketing strategy if you ask me because [on] the day it was released, the second I walked into first period I was asked, “did you see your Spotify wrap?” – Junior Ana Juarez

A: “It reveals so much about your listening that remains a secret the entire year. Everyone loves to see what they got and share it across platforms; Spotify does smart marketing that at the end of the Wrapped it includes your minutes, top artists, and songs.” – Freshman Delia Kirkpatrick

LHS can hardly wait for next year’s Spotify Wrapped to come out! Until then they will continue listening to new songs and artists throughout 2024. Who knows how their music taste will evolve by then?