Owls Come up Short Against Plainedge in Benefit Game

Photo+by+Dave+Adamson+on+Unsplash%0A++
Photo by Dave Adamson on Unsplash

After beating Levittown in its homecoming game, the Lynbrook Owls varsity football team faced off against the Plainedge Red Devils one week later. Because this was Lynbrook’s annual benefit game, all proceeds went to Camp Anchor, a camp for people with special needs. It was a close game, but the Red Devils scored two late touchdowns and ultimately won by a score of 55-35.

To start the game, the Owls forced a punt, but it was muffed, and then Plainedge recovered it. Dylan Fella of Plainedge scored the go-ahead touchdown, and the Red Devils went up 7-0 early. Lynbrook received the ball, and senior Ramon Calderon scored a one-yard touchdown rush, which was followed by a two-point conversion scored by senior Michael Hendrickson, putting the Owls on top 8-7.

The Red Devils got the ball back, and Plainedge’s Jake Anglim responded with a one-yard touchdown. On Lynbrook’s next drive, quarterback Maxson Weiss, senior, connected with wide receiver Miles Storm, sophomore, for a 10-yard pass. Hendrickson then scored a 17-yard touchdown rush to retake the lead for the Owls, 15-13. Anglim then scored his second rushing touchdown of the day.

Just before the first half ended, Taylor Nitsch of Plainedge picked off Weiss and returned the ball for a touchdown. The Red Devils had a comfortable 26-15 lead heading into halftime. Weiss was injured in the play, and backup quarterback Joseph McHale, a junior, had to take over. When asked what was going through his head when he knew that he had to step in, McHale responded, “I was confident. I knew I had great teammates around me to rely on. But I’ve been wanting a chance to play since the season began.”

After the break, the Owls received the ball and Hendrickson broke loose for a 70-yard touchdown rush. On Plainedge’s next play, Fella returned the favor by scoring an 80-yard touchdown rush to put the Red Devils on top by 10. On Lynbrook’s next drive, the Owls went for a touchdown on fourth and fifth, but McHale’s pass was incomplete. Fella had a 35-yard run, but the Owls’ defense punched out the ball and recovered the fumble.

On third and 20, Hendrickson scored another 70-yard touchdown to bring the Owls within three points of the Red Devils. Fella returned the favor once again by scoring a 60-yard touchdown rush and bringing Plainedge up 40-29. With one second left in the third quarter, McHale’s pass was intercepted by Jack Rizzo of Plainedge, giving the Red Devils great field position, on which Anglim capitalized by scoring a nine-yard touchdown rush.

On the Owls’ next drive, McHale took a shot downfield and completed a 38-yard pass to senior Amah Agwu. Calderon then ran it in for his second touchdown of the day. Shortly after, however, Anglim scored his fourth touchdown of the day to seal the deal in Plainedge’s favor with a score of 55-35. 

Agwu finished with 125 yards and seven receptions; Calderon finished with 102 yards of total offense and two touchdowns, including a 33-yard pass. Hendrickson ran for 251 yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries. Junior Frank Sirufo of Lynbrook had six tackles and one sack. Plainedge’s Fella rushed for 222 yards and two touchdowns on 11 carries, and Anglim rushed for 141 yards and four touchdowns.

When asked about Weiss’s injury, head coach David Yaker commented, “Max got hurt on the tackle he tried to make after the interception return for a touchdown. Joe McHale filled in admirably for Max and led the team on three second-half scoring drives. We try to have the ‘next man up’ mentality, where whoever is the backup has to be ready. Obviously, we hope Max is ok and ready to play for Friday, but if he is not, we are confident in who we have going in.”

When asked about how the team has to adjust to Weiss’s injury, Hendrickson added, “Adversity happens; football is a physical and tough sport, but we have a ‘next man up’ mentality. When someone goes down, next is up, and he is expected to execute.”