SAT Goes Digital for 2024

The SAT, or Scholastic Aptitude Test, is one of the nation’s most widely used college-entrance exams. For decades, an SAT score was a requirement to apply to traditional colleges; however, many schools have ditched the exam, and these numbers have only climbed with the COVID-19 pandemic. On Jan. 25, The College Board, the organization that administers the exam, announced that it has chosen to shift to online exams in 2023 for international students and in 2024 for American students.

With the new online exam, some aspects will remain the same. The exam will still be scored on a 1600 scale, be taken in a proctored setting such as a school or testing center, and be divided into multiple-choice sections.

There have been extensive changes made to the exam, as well. It will be shortened from three hours to two, and the optional essay section has been removed. Reading sections will be shorter and more closely related to materials students would likely read in college. Students will be able to use calculators during the entire math section, and there will be a countdown clock so students can keep track of time. Lastly, students will be allowed to see their results within days rather than weeks.

There could be some flaws to this new exam such as technical difficulties. According to The College Board, digital Advanced Placement (AP) exams from the past two years have given them an opportunity to work out any kinks and better prepare for the digital SAT. Students will not be penalized if their computer loses power or if they get disconnected from the internet during the exam. If students do not have a computer, The College Board will provide them with a device on the day of the exam.

Some worry that these changes will lead students to immoral test-taking. “It is going to create the same cheating problems that the APs had,” said senior Jay Guggino. 

Additionally, some students prefer paper tests as compared to a digital version. “I found it easier to take tests on paper, especially for math,” commented senior Olivia Gonzalo. 

A study conducted by FutureEd found that students who take a test on paper tend to score higher than students who take a test digitally. “I hated online school; my grades dropped, and it was hard to learn remotely,” commented senior Yarielis-Pancho-Rivera. “As well, there were multiple online issues.” With this information in mind, it raises the question: will students benefit from the SAT going digitally? 

Many have challenged the SAT exam in general for its use in college admissions and wish for it to be abolished as an application requirement. Some argue that the exam favors wealthy students who have the time and resources to take test-prep courses and retake the exam multiple times. The College Board argues that the SAT helps connect low-income students to colleges or scholarships that might otherwise help them pass over. 

Many LHS students believe that the SAT should not define them and their abilities, making it more challenging to get into college. Senior Nicholas Gerbi said, “The SAT should be gone because it doesn’t test you on your knowledge; rather, it tests you on how fast you can take the test. If the majority of colleges are making it optional, why bother with it?” 

Senior Nyah Torres agrees. “I think the SAT should be abolished,” she said. “This one test should not determine someone’s future.” Freshman Maxine Weis added, “Kids should not have to take a test just to qualify for college.” 

Standardized testing is a tricky topic. There are many factors that affect a student’s ability to score well on an exam, but The College Board says they are working to make the test as fair as possible. Will this new online version be the solution to the problem?