Hello from Japan!

They say travel broadens the mind, and the same was true for the students and staff of LHS last month. From Mar. 17 to Mar. 21, two students from Japan, Yuuna and Aoi, were welcomed to the high school as part of the BOCES annual foreign exchange program. Hosted by the Japanese Club, the two new arrivals were introduced to all the best American culture has to offer.

“The experience is amazing and truly unlike anything I’ve ever done before,” said senior Cat Applebaum, who has been a part of the program for several years now. “Showing these people who have never been to America all the incredible things we have to offer is something I wish everyone could get the chance to do. Their reactions are priceless, and the memories we make last forever,” added Applebaum.

Applebaum also noted the personal strength of the Japanese students in coming to the United States: “These girls have been through horrible things, like the tsunami and the reactor meltdown in 2011. It’s inspiring to see them have the courage to present and speak about their hardships in a foreign language just to educate the world. I’d recommend this to everyone with all my heart. It’s a one-of-a-kind opportunity.”

During their time in the U.S., the exchange students stayed in the homes of their English counterparts, all the while sampling American food, further mastering the language, and attending their student hosts’ classes.

Junior Isabel Weiss also hosted one of the exchange students. Describing it all, Weiss had but only positive words for the experience: “I honestly loved it. I definitely want to do it again. Yuuna (my exchange student) was extremely friendly and fun to be around. It was incredible watching her experience so many new things and places and getting to know her. I miss her a lot.”

Following her return home, Yuuna commented on the impact of the trip had on her life going forward. “I learned so much during this program: most of all that nothing will happen unless I act first. Don’t be afraid of failure because you can do anything, little things especially. For example, I try to say ‘Hi!’ But you don’t always have to speak to people — try to pick up garbage, eat green peas . . . something like that! Something good is bound to happen. I hope to see you all again someday.”

Foreign Language Teacher Noriko Koide, known by the honorary title of ‘sensei’ to her students, elaborated further on the history of the program: “We have been participating in the Student Exchange Program at NECTJ, the Northeast Council of Teachers of Japanese, and hosting Japanese students who lost family and friends during the Great East Earthquake on Mar. 11, 2011 to the United States. This exchange program’s goal is to foster greater cultural connections between Japanese and United States students through the power of learning about a natural disaster and its effects upon a people and its country.”