Filed under Print Edition, Sports

LVT Serves Up Opponents En Route to Conference Title

Back to Article
Back to Article

After another hard-fought season, the girls’ varsity tennis team has done it again and has won the Nassau County Conference B championship for the second time in three years. This season, the Owls went 13-1, with the team’s only loss coming in a nailbiter against a tough South Side team. The lady Owls were led by Head Coach Shari Bowes and senior captains Casey Kaplan and Emily Moelis.

The season opened up the campaign with two shutout victories, 7-0 and 6-0, against Calhoun and East Meadow, respectively. After a 6-1 victory at New Hyde Park, the team suffered its first and only loss of the year as it was narrowly defeated at home by South Side. The team bounced back in itsnext match by beating Kennedy/ Bellmore 5-2 at home. After squeaking out a 4-3 victory over Plainview, the girls started to click on all cylinders, defeating their next four opponents by a combined score of 23-2-2. The Owls brought this momentum into their biggest match of the season, a rematch against South Side, on the road, with a chance to avenge the sole blemish on their winning record. If the Owls could escape with the win, they would be be able win out and take home the conference title, regardless of how any other team performed the rest of the season. The Owls came out victorious defeating the Cyclones 4-3. To round out the season, the Owls won their three final matches, taking down Bellmore-JFK and Plainview before beating Massapequa 6-0 away from home to clinch the title.

“The season overall was great,” commented sophomore Ambiya Hussain. “It went by so fast because almost every day we had matches. [Arpie Bakhshian] and I had a really good dynamic. Even though some of the matches were long, stressful, and close, we won every single one.” The team’s #3 singles player, Allison Shifflett, also finished the season with a perfect record of 14-0. Coach Bowes was extremely happy with the performance and outcome of the season: “I could not have been any prouder of the LHS girls varsity tennis team. With a challenging schedule, we landed on top, with a final record of 13-1. I am saddened to say goodbye to my nine amazing senior athletes; these seniors were true leaders and role models and will be missed! I am confident that we will come back next year young, but mighty.” The Owls are thrilled to be conference champs, but now their eyes are set on the playoffs, where they look to continue their dominant play.

• LVT Serves Up Opponents En Route to Conference Title

Print Edition

Caitlin McElwee-Buchala Leads XC to a Strong Season

Print Edition

Lynbrook Soccer Players Take Home Awards

Features

Farewell, Nick!

News

A Complicated Apartment Complex Proposal

News

Reduce, Reuse, and Refuse: Marine Club’s Attempt at Making LHS Eco-Friendlier

News

Voting: Convenience Is a Want, But Safety Is a Need

Arts & Entertainment

NAHS Spreads Holiday Spirit

Features

The Gift of Gender Stereotyping

Features

What Nationalism Means for the Nation

News

Home Is Not Where the Birth Is