Kramer’s Korner

Kramers Korner

Kramer’s Korner is changing its recipe! It is now going to focus on the students of LHS and the questions that they have regarding their food choices. During health class, the students are always asking insightful questions about what is healthy and what is not. With so many confusing diets and news reports, it is difficult to tell fact from fiction. Kramer’s Korner is the perfect opportunity to share some food news and get the lowdown on healthful eating. Here are the student questions for The Kids Ask Kramer Edition #1.

Is Pizza Healthy for Me?

I love this question, but like so many other questions regarding food, it is not as simple as a yes and no. Pizza comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, and it can have a plethora of topping choices. It depends on the type of pizza you eat, where it is from, what is on it, and how often you eat it. Pizza should not be eaten every day; once a week is the limit. A regular slice of pizza paired with a piece of fruit and glass of water can be considered a semi-healthy lunch or dinner. Once you start adding in the toppings on the designer pizzas, like the beloved buffalo slice, you have now entered into the nutritional disaster zone. If the pizza is frozen, then you have really entered into the unhealthy zone. The best choice for pizza is homemade. It can be fun for the entire family to make, and you can use wholesome ingredients that are nutritionally dense. You can even make a vegetable pizza, a salad pizza with some kale, or really challenge yourself and make a cauliflower crust pizza.

Homemade Granola Bar Recipe

• About 2 cups rolled oats
  • ½ cup peanut, almond or sunflower butter
  • ¾ cup honey
  • ¾ cup dried cranberries
  • ½ cup chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup almonds

Stir all ingredients together and press into a 8×8 baking pan. Freeze for about an hour. Cut into squares, and store each granola bar wrapped individually in plastic wrap.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

• 1 cauliflower head
  • ¼ grated parmesan cheese
  • Oregano, kosher salt, garlic powder to taste
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and break up the cauliflower and pulse it in a blend- er. Steam the cauliflower and drain it very well. Place it in a towel and try to get as much moisture out as possible. Let it cool completely. Then, add all ingredients together in a bowl and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Do the best you can to shape it like a pizza crust, but do not worry about the shape. Bake it for about 20 minutes, then take it out and put your toppings on. Bake for another 10 minutes.

Hot Dogs:  Do or “Ew”?

Okay, I do not like to put foods into the “do not eat” category, but here is an exception. The consumption of hot dogs should be saved for that once-a-year barbecue or your first and only visit to the ballpark to watch your favorite baseball team. Other than that, the answer is “Ew.” Hot dogs can have hormones, antibiotics, tons of calories, fat, sodium, and preservatives that can have damaging health effects. Hot dogs do not stand in a category all by themselves, however. All processed meats such as bacon (sorry, you should not eat that either), sausages, and pepperoni have been linked to cancer and heart disease. These foods should be limited to a special occasion basis only, not consumed daily. Enjoy one at the ball game and be done!

Granola Bars: a healthy snack or a glorified candy bar?

If we polled the students at LHS and asked them what food item they eat most on the go, the answer would be some type of granola bar. “Well, then they must be healthy. At least the one that claims to be from the valley of nature, right?!” No. There is nothing of nature really about most of them. Here is where your label reading comes into play. “Does it have high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, or monosodium glutamate (MSG)?” If any of these ingredients is listed, then you should put it back on the shelf immediately; they have been linked to many health ailments, such as diabetes and obesity. Check the label for sugars and the order of ingredients. If sugar is the first item, put it back. Try making your own granola bars at home, which are super easy and super nutritious. You can make them on a Sunday and have enough for every school day of the week!